I have been trying to make spiced roasted nuts for ages, with quite a few fails. This one is still a little sweet, but the recipe is getting there! I thought I’d better write down today’s trial and error, to tweak for next time…
4 cups raw nuts (I used a combination of cashews, pecans and walnuts)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp paprika
Really good grind of salt and pepper
1 Tb cold butter
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 175o C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Mix the nuts in a bowl and add the spices. Mix well.
3. In a small saucepan over a medium heat, heat the sugar, butter and water until the butter is melted. (It should look light and bubbly like the picture above.) Then continue cooking for 1 more minute. Take off the heat and pour the liquid over the nuts.
4. Lay the nuts in a single layer on the baking trays and bake for 10 minutes, then stir them all around and cook for another six minutes.
5. Take out of the oven and let cool. Taste s few while they’re still warm and add more salt and pepper of needed. Try not to eat them all before storing in an airtight container… I haven’t got to that point yet, but I reckon they will last probably about two weeks in proper storage…